Sunday, December 23, 2018

VW Golf Variant MK4 Tailgate Lock Switch Replacement

I have actually done this few years back but now adding it here.

Below is the original switch from the door lock. Unfortunately it was impossible to find the same part.


Below is the replacement switch I found for this project



The new switch was different model number than the old one. The new one has number 6x0 947 569 and old one is 070.767.22.2

I found out the only difference is a tiny extra plastic part on the side of the switch.

The tab is clearly visible in this photo, between the round pillars:


I simply cut the tab out using a sharp knife. Here is the image after cutting the tab. You have to cut it, otherwise it wont fit in place.



This is the lock after removing the switch. After breaking the plastic tabs of the switch, I just used pliers to pull the metal upwards to be able to slide the switch out. Yes you need to bend it!


New switch in place before bending it back to position:






After putting the switch in, I first bent the metal back. This time I put the pliers from the hole where the connector normally goes in. Then bent it inwards carefully. After it looked straight, I pushed the switch in and tested if it contacts properly with the lock mechanism. When everything looked fine. I heated up the soldering iron and slowly melted the tabs to make the switch stick in place. I used some contact glue between just to be sure that it will stay put in place. Here is the finished product (I painted scratches from pliers ith black paint). It doesn\t look as tidy as the original tabs but works fine.

I guess it would have been better to use a heat controlled soldering iron at about 200C to slowly melt the tabs to location, but I did not have access to one at that time.



No comments:

Post a Comment