Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Using Mac OSX High Sierra with VirtalBox on an AMD FX-8350 processor

I recently needed Mac OSX to be able to downgrade my printer firmware. I tried to install MacOSX on VirtualBox but it was not a very straightforward procedure.

I have followed the instructions, and downloaded the disk image from here: https://forum.amd-osx.com/viewtopic.php?t=4029

Then I needed to create a virtual machine within virtualbox. Using default options for Mac OSX High Sierra and downloaded disk file as the main drive.

I needed to modify some of the settings before things started to take shape.I did not use all the modifications within the instructions. Only the following seems to be doing the job pretty good.

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X High Sierra" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1080
VBoxManage setextradata "Mac OS X High Sierra" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/LUN#0/Config/PermanentSave" 1
VBoxManage modifyvm "Mac OS X High Sierra" --cpu-profile "Intel Xeon X5482 3.20GHz"


The graphics card memory can stay at 16MB and setting it higher does not seem to effect anything. However I had to uncheck the "Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-V" setting at processor tab in settings.

Only after these settings it was possible to boot the image. I could not install the upgrade without the cpu-profile option set. I had to use a different resolution due to my display size. The VirtualBox was setting a different default size.

No comments:

Post a Comment